What is the Office of Group Benefits (OGB)?

OGB is an agency, authorized by state statute to provide health and life insurance benefits to active and retired state employees and their eligible dependents, as well as employees and retirees of other participating groups.

What is the cost of an OGB health plan?

It depends upon the plan option you choose, the number of dependents you cover, and your status as either an active employee or retiree with or without Medicare. Visit our premium rates to see the cost for the coverage level you fall into. For retirees, please refer to the rate schedule that applies to your participation schedule.

What is the OGB Customer Service phone number and what are the hours of operation?

OGB Customer Service can be reached at 1-800-272-8451 from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. OGB customer service will be closed periodically for employee training and all official State of Louisiana holidays.

How do I get in touch with my plan provider?

  • Access2Day Health
  • 1-800-797-9503, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday
  • Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Louisiana
  • 1-800-392-4089, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday
  • Via Benefits
  • 1-855-663-4228, 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Monday through Friday
  • HMO Louisiana (Blue Advantage Medicare Advantage) 
  • Pre-enrollment: 1-800-824-4567, 8:00a.m to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday
  • 1-855-663-4228, 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Monday through Friday
  • Members:1-866-508-7145, 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Sunday through Saturday (October – March)
    8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Monda through Friday (April – September
  • Humana
  • 1-877-889-9885, 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Monday through Friday
  • Peoples Health
  • 1-866-912-8304, 8:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m. Seven days a week
  • Caremark
  • 1-877-300-1906, 24 hours, 7 days a week
  • SilverScript
  • 1-888-996-0104, 24 hours, 7 days a week
  • TASC
  • 1-800-422-4661

I have moved. How do I change my address with OGB?

LaGov Active Employees: Changes should be made in LEO or with your human resources department.

Non-LaGov Active Employees: Contact your human resources department.

Retirees: You may send in your request to OGB by mail or fax. Your request should include your social security number, old address and new address. You may mail your address change request to:

OGB Eligibility Department
P.O. Box 44036
Baton Rouge, LA 70804

The fax number for retirees only is 225-342-9917.

I misplaced my 1095c form. How do I request a duplicate?

Duplicate Forms 1095-C can now be requested by completing a Request for Duplicate IRS Tax form (OSUP/F037) Refer to the Request a Duplicate IRS Tax Form Procedure on the OSUP Procedures page of the OSUP Website for more information on obtaining a duplicate form. All active and separated employees should contact their agency HR/EA office to request a duplicate form. Retirees may contact OSUP directly to request a form or they can go through their agency HR/EA office.

Employee questions should be directed to the agency’s human resources office or to the ACA dedicated telephone number at 225-219-9434.

Who do I call for answers about my medical claims?

Claims inquiries should be made to the administrator of the insurance plan. The number for your plan administrator can be found on the back of your insurance ID card.

My spouse has coverage through his/her employer. Can I be covered under my spouse’s plan and an OGB plan?

You can be covered under more than one health plan. Please keep in mind that there are special rules that determine which plan will pay as the primary insurer and which will pay as the secondary insurer. Please refer to the OGB plan document for further information. (Members may not be covered under more than one OGB health plan.)

Who should I call if I do not receive my insurance ID card or FSA debit card?

  • Health Insurance Cards: Contact the insurance carrier of the plan
  • FSA Debit Cards (active employees only): Contact OGB’s Third Party Administrator, TASC toll-free at 1-800-422-4661.

What’s the difference between a co-pay and coinsurance?

A copay is a flat fee for a specific service. Coinsurance, however, is a percentage of the contractually allowed cost of a specific service.

How are deductibles applied if I have coverage for my spouse and myself?

The entire deductible must be met before your coinsurance applies. Deductibles are based on the number of covered individuals on your plan. Deductibles are applied in total, not on an individual basis.


I am a newly eligible employee. When can I enroll in an OGB health plan?

Newly eligible employees have 30 days from their date of eligibility to enroll in an OGB health plan. If the employee misses the 30 day deadline, he/she can enroll during the next annual enrollment period usually held in October for the next plan year or upon an OGB Plan Recognized Qualified Life Event.

When can I add life coverage?

  • Newly Eligible Employees – life insurance may be added within 30 days of eligibility.
  • Active Employees – May apply for life insurance during annual enrollment period, subject to underwriting.

How do I add dependents?

Please visit your human resources department to add dependents to your plan. You must provide proof of the legal relationship of each covered dependent. Without that documentation, your enrollment cannot be completed. Acceptable documents include: your marriage certificate, birth letter or birth certificate, legal adoption or custody papers, if applicable, for each covered dependent. Your agency will verify the eligibility of dependents. Retirees should contact OGB for assistance.

Can I drop my coverage?

Yes, you may drop your coverage during annual enrollment or upon an OGB Plan Recognized Qualified Life Event. Retirees should note that if coverage is dropped, you may not get it back.

How long do I have to pick up coverage once I have an OGB Plan Recognized Qualified Life Event?

The application must be submitted within 30 days unless otherwise specified in the OGB health plan document.

I’m pregnant. When can I add my baby to my plan?

In order for a newborn to be added as a dependent, you must complete an application and provide your human resources department with a birth certificate or a copy of the birth letter within 30 days of the child’s birth date. The birth letter will suffice as proof of parentage only if it contains the relationship of the child and the employee. If the birth certificate or birth letter is not received, enrollment may not take place until the next annual enrollment period or an OGB Plan Recognized Qualified Life Event.

Can I continue coverage if the primary plan member is deceased?

The surviving legal spouse and/or legal dependent of an employee or retiree may continue coverage unless or until the surviving legal spouse and/or legal dependent is or becomes eligible for coverage in a Group Health Plan other than Medicare.


What plans am I eligible for?


How does an HSA work?

A Health Savings Account, or HSA, is an employee-owned account used to pay for qualified medical expenses, including deductibles, medical co-pays, prescriptions and other eligible medical, dental and vision costs. To enroll in an OGB HSA, you must enroll in the Pelican HSA775. Both employees and employers can contribute to a HSA, but the funds are owned by the employee. The HSA funds are available even if you are no longer employed by an OGB-participating employer. The Pelican HSA plan is only available to Active Employees. For a list of covered expenses visit

Are there Eligibility Rules that apply to HSA accounts?

Yes. The Pelican HSA775 Plan is a high deductible health plan which may be used in conjunction with an HSA for those eligible to participate in such an account. Eligibility to participate in and contribute to an HSA must be met on a monthly basis. It is your responsibility to ensure that you are eligible to maintain an HSA. The below factors affect your eligibility to participate in and/or make contributions to an HSA:

Pelican HRA1000 Pelican HRA1000 Pelican HRA1000
Pelican HSA775 Magnolia Local Plus Magnolia Local Plus
Magnolia Local Plus Magnolia Open Access Magnolia Open Access
Magnolia Open Access Magnolia Local Magnolia Local
Magnolia Local
  Via Benefits Via Benefits
  HMO Louisiana (Blue Advantage)
    Peoples Health HMO-POS
a. Neither you nor your spouse may be covered by Medicare at any time during the Plan year (Medicare Part A coverage begins six months back from the date one applies for Medicare, social security, or railroad retiree benefits, but no earlier than the first month one was eligible for Medicare. Therefore, the general advisory is that you stop contributing to your health savings account at least six months before you apply for any of those benefits.)
b. You must not be covered by any other health plan that is not a high-deductible health plan.
c. You may not be covered by Veteran’s services during the last three months.
d. You may not be active-duty military with Tricare coverage.
e. You may not be claimed as a dependent on another person’s tax return.
f. Neither you nor your spouse may be participating in a General-Purpose Flexible Spending Account (“FSA”) (Limited-Purpose FSAs are allowed).

How do I enroll into an HSA? Do I have to complete an application and fax it to HealthEquity?

To enroll in an OGB HSA, you must first enroll in the Pelican HSA775 health plan. You can setup your HSA deduction with your human resources department or during annual enrollment. Your contributions are taken out of your check, pre-taxed, as a payroll deduction.

Does it rollover every year?

Yes. Unused funds will rollover year after year. You won’t lose your money if you don’t spend it within the year.

Is there a maximum amount you can rollover in the HSA yearly?

No. There is no maximum on the amount you can rollover in the HSA account.

Can retirees participate in the HSA plan?

No. The Pelican HSA plan is only available to Active Employees, who have not enrolled in a Medicare Plan (i.e. Medicare Part A or Medicare Part B).

What happens if I get a new job?

If you get a new job with a non-OGB participating employer, you can still use your HSA. It is yours to keep and the funds in it will remain available for your use.

How do I use the money?

You will receive a debit card that can be used to pay for eligible expenses. You may also order checks from HealthEquity after your account has been set up successfully.

Who should I contact if I have questions about my Health Savings Account?

You have 24/7 access to Health Equity’s Customer Service Center at: 1-877-987-8123

How long does it take to receive the welcome kit and debit card after HSA is opened?

A debit card and welcome kit will arrive in separate mailings within 10 business days of HSA being opened. The welcome kit will introduce you to how your HSA works, how to access your account online, ways to contribute and use your HSA funds, the benefits of maximizing your contributions, and useful online banking tools and HSA resources.

I received my card and welcome packet from HealthEquity. Do I have to return anything?

Yes. You must complete and return the HSA Signature Card and beneficiary election form that is enclosed in your welcome letter. Please review the information, make any necessary additions or corrections, sign it where indicated, and return the form to HealthEquity, the custodian of your HSA, in the provided envelope within 10 business days of receiving it.

Can I still order MySmar$aver checks?

No. Paper checks will no longer be issued for MySmart$aver HSA beginning Dec. 4, 2015. Beginning Dec. 7, 2015, all MySmart$aver transactions will need to be made through the new MySmart$aver debit card.

How much can an employee contribute to their HSA?

The maximum annual contribution that can be made to an HSA during 2024, including employer contributions, is:

  • Individual Pelican HSA775 coverage: $4,150
  • Family Pelican HSA775 coverage: $8,300
  • $1,000 catch-up maximum for those who qualify

How much does my employer contribute to my HSA?

Agencies contribute $200, initially, to employees’ HSA at the beginning of each plan year. They will also match employee’s tax-free contributions dollar-for-dollar up to an additional $575 through payroll deduction each plan year. Employees must have the Pelican HSA775 in order to receive initial deposit and matching contributions.

Can I change my monthly contributions throughout the year?

You must set up an initial deduction amount when you first enroll in the plan. However, you can change the amount of the deduction throughout the policy year, up to once a month.

Can I contribute additional monies over the maximum to the HSA?

An employee who is over 55 years of age may contribute an additional $1000 to their HSA account yearly.

How do I set up my HSA deductions?

You can set up your HSA deduction with your human resources department or you can enroll during annual enrollment.

Who can contribute to my HSA?

Anyone can contribute to your HSA.

Will these deductions be monthly or bi-weekly?

The deduction is based on your payroll schedule.

When will the HSA $200.00 employer contribution be available to the employee?

The $200.00 employer contribution is available the month following OGB’s receipt of payment from the agency.

When will my contributed deductions or employer match contributions be available?

HSA employee contributions and employer match contributions will be available the following month after the deductions or employer match contributions are taken from the employee’s check. Example: Deductions taken in the month of March will be available for the employee in the month of April.

Will debit card transactions be allowed at ATMs?

No. New MySmart$aver debit cards can no longer be used at ATMs and debit card PINS will not be issued.

Do employees need to keep track of deposits and withdrawals from their HSA?

Yes. Employees should keep a record of all transactions in and out of their HSA so they can supply documentation on their deposits and expenditures, if needed. It is up to the accountholder to monitor the deposits and withdrawals made to and from their HSA.

How do I check my HSA balance?

Upon enrollment, you will receive a welcome kit with instructions on how to access your account.

Can my employer control how I spend my money?

You own the money in your HSA. Your employer cannot control how you use the funds.

Can the HSA money be used for a family member not on my plan?

Yes. HSA funds can be used for you, your spouse or eligible dependents (as identified on your Federal tax return) even if they are not covered by the Pelican HSA775 plan.

What are the benefits of enrolling into a HSA and a Limited-Purpose FSA?

Putting monies in a Limited-Purpose FSA for dental and vision expenses frees up the HSA monies to be used for medical expenses or be rolled over to create a larger HSA balance to be used in the future.


What is a Health Reimbursement Arrangement?

A Health Reimbursement Arrangement, or HRA, is an account that employers use to reimburse employees’ healthcare expenses, such as deductibles, medical co-pays, eligible medical costs, and does not include prescription drugs. The HRA funds are available as long as you remain enrolled in the Pelican HRA1000 health plan.

How much does my agency contribute to the HRA?

Your agency contributes $1,000 annually for a single (employee only) and $2,000 annually for a family to your HRA at the beginning of the plan year.

How does an HRA work?

The HRA is handled by BCBS on behalf of the employee. BCBS uses the HRA account to pay the provider (doctor or hospital)when a medical claim is submitted. The HRA is only for eligible medical expenses and does not include prescription drugs.

Who can contribute to the HRA account?

The HRA is funded by the employer. This means, when medical expenses occur and qualify for reimbursement, BCBS claims administration applies HRA funds from the member’s HRA account.

Does it rollover every year?

Yes. Unused funds will rollover until it reaches the in-network out-of-pocket maximum. So for example, if you are on an employee-only plan, the unused funds will rollover until it reaches $5,000.

What happens if I get a new job?

HRAs are not portable – meaning if you get a new job with a non-OGB participating employer, you will not be able to take your account with you or use the funds still in it.

Can I use HRA funds for pharmacy charges?

No, only eligible medical services may be reimbursed by HRA funds.

Whom do I contact if I have a question about the funds in my HRA?

You may contact Blue Cross at 1-800-392-4089.

Can I enroll into a Flexible Spending account if I have an HRA?

Yes, if you are an active full-time employee, a General-Purpose FSA or Limited-Purpose FSA may be used with an HRA.

How will I know when my HRA funds are exhausted?

The HRA pays for 100% of covered out-of-pocket medical expenses until the HRA is exhausted. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Louisiana’s Explanation of Benefits will indicate the funds available for reimbursement. Then, you will pay the full contracted amount for that service, until you meet the remaining balance of your deductible and/or any coinsurance amount.


No FAQs Found


Are expenses for orthodontia covered under the FSA?

Orthodontia expenses are eligible under the Health FSA. Most orthodontia is paid in monthly installments. The monthly payments within your plan year are eligible for reimbursement. We require a copy of the financial contract between you and the orthodontist. Also, the down payment is eligible as long as it is billed within your current plan year.

What is the Substantiation Process?

Optum Financial will try to contact the participant three times via letter/email to notify them of the request for more information.

The standard timeline for claim follow-up for unsubstantiated claims is:

  • Sixty days after an unsubstantiated claim is received, communication (via email if employee has one on file, letter if not provided) is sent to the employee.
  • Sixty days after the initial communication, a second communication (via mail) is sent to the employee.
  • Forty-five days after the second communication, a third communication (via mail) is sent to the employee. It states that if documentation is not received within 10 days of the date of this final letter, the card will be suspended.
  • Fifteen days after the third communication (180 days after the initial card swipe), cards will be suspended if proper documentation has not been provided.

Why do I have to substantiate the services? Isn’t it my money?

Yes, the money put in is yours to use for qualified expenses. However, in order to utilize this money without paying taxes you must follow the IRS rules. As such, the plan is required to substantiate claims for all debit card transactions. For debit card transactions that can be approved by one of the IRS approved electronic methods, you will not need to provide a receipt, but you will need to keep copies of all receipts for all services you use the debit card for.

What type of detail needs to be included in my documentation?

The IRS requires that participants provide:

  • Date service was received or purchase made
  • Description of service or item purchased
  • Dollar amount (after insurance, if applicable)
  • Name of merchant/provider

How do I submit documentation?

The easiest and quickest ways to upload supporting documentation is by downloading the TASC mobile app or registering online at

Do I need to keep my receipts?

Yes, please save all receipts related to your FSA purchases. For some expenses, you may be required to provide additional information, including itemized receipts or explanation of benefits, to verify eligibility of the expense. Besides saving all receipts, be sure to provide them promptly when requested. If you fail to submit documentation when requested, the FSA plan administrator is required to declare those expenses ineligible and you’ll have to reimburse your account.

Can Rehired Retirees enroll into an FSA FAQs to the OGB website?

Yes, as long as they are full-time active and the deductions comes from their active check.

If I used my card at a hospital or dental office, shouldn’t my claim be automatically approved?

Unfortunately, not all expenses from a hospital or dental office are FSA-eligible. For example, some hospital gift stores sell flowers that could still be coded as “hospital” expenses, and some dental offices provide elective services like teeth whitening that could still be coded as “dental” expenses. Unfortunately, these are not FSA-eligible. By obtaining supporting documentation, we’re able to verify the eligibility of the expense to maintain compliance with IRS regulations.

Can a FSA debit card transaction be declined when the provider swipes the card?

Yes. There are some situations in which a debit card transaction can be denied by a pharmacy or other location. This can happen if:

  • You may be at an ineligible location
  • You may be asking for more money than what you have elected and/or contributed
  • Your card might have been temporarily suspended because your account is not in good standing OR because there is additional information required for previous transaction(s)
  • The card might not have been correctly re-activated since being suspended for additional information subsequently received
  • The valid location you are at has been identified in the system as an invalid location
  • The card’s magnetic strip has been compromised
  • The merchant’s “credit swipe machine” may be malfunctioning
  • You have swiped the card yourself and indicated “debit” (which refers to a bank account card) rather than indicating “charge”

What should I do if my debit card is declined at the merchant’s location?

You should go ahead and pay for the service and then contact the FSA plan administrator, TASC, to determine if it is due to funds availability or card technicality. You can then submit a manual claim for reimbursement from your account.

How do I know how much is in my FSA account?

You can visit your FSA portal to view your account activity and current balance. Or you can call the FSA plan administrator, Total Administrative Services Corporation (TASC), at 1-844-237-9222. It’s a good idea to know your account balance before you make a purchase with your debit card.

How long is my debit card good for?

Your debit card is good for three years. So hang on to it. Even if you deplete this year’s funds, you’ll be able to use the card again next year when you re-enroll in the FSA plan.

What happens if I don’t spend all of the money? Where does it go?

You will forfeit the money that remains in your account. Any excess funds are kept by the employer and can be used to offset the costs of administering the program. The IRS regulations require this, and do not allow employers to return the money to plan participants or to carry unused funds over to the next plan year.

Can I use my Health Care FSA to reimburse outstanding medical expenses from the prior year? (Special Note on Orthodontia)

No, expenses must be incurred during the current plan year. The only exception to this rule is orthodontics. You can use your FSA to cover payments made for braces, even if the braces were put on before the start of the current plan year.

What do I need to submit for my orthodontia claim?

You will need to submit a copy of the orthodontia contract specifying start date, length of treatment, total cost for the treatment and the payment schedule.

What happens to my FSA if I terminate employment in the middle of a plan year?

You will have a specific amount of time, called the run-out period, during which you can submit claims that were incurred prior to your termination date. The run-out period for the prior plan year ends on April 30 of the subsequent year. For example, the run-out period for Plan Year 2023 ends April 30, 2024. You may not be reimbursed for any claims incurred after your termination date. However, you may be able to continue your Health Care FSA coverage under COBRA.

I don’t know how much I should contribute. What do most people do?

There is no amount that will be right for everyone. FSA elections vary greatly, depending on the individual participant and his or her particular situation. You should make your election by carefully examining your expected out of pocket health care expenses for the upcoming year.

Does my daycare provider need to be licensed in order to use the Dependent Care FSA?

No, you can use the Dependent Care FSA to cover expenses for anyone who watches your children while you and your spouse are working. It can even be a family member, as long as that person is not your tax dependent. The only rules that apply are that you must provide the Social Security number or Tax ID of your daycare provider, and that person must claim the income.

My spouse is a stay at home parent, can I use the Dependent Care FSA to pay for preschool?

No, the regulations state that care must be rendered so that both you and your spouse can be gainfully employed, look for gainful employment or attend school.

Can I transfer money from my Health Care FSA to my Dependent Care FSA?

No, you can use funds only for the purpose for which the election was initially made. IRS regulations do not allow funds to be transferred or commingled between accounts. So, the money in your Health Care FSA may only be used for health care expenses and your Dependent Care FSA may only pay for dependent care expenses.

What is a Flexible Benefits plan?

A flexible benefits plan allows you to pay for certain benefits before your money is taxed. For example, with a flexible benefit plan you can transfer money out of every paycheck and put it in a Flexible Spending Arrangement (FSA) option before its taxed. The FSA you choose allows you to set aside money, before it’s taxed, to pay for health care, out-of-pocket expenses, dental and vision expenses and dependent care expenses. The FSA Visa Debit card is provided to pay for expenses at doctor’s offices, hospitals, and pharmacies.

What options do I have?

If you’re not enrolled in an OGB health plan, you can still take advantage of flexible benefits. We offer the following options: General-Purpose FSA; Limited-Purpose FSA; Dependent Care FSA.

What is a General-Purpose FSA?

The General-Purpose FSA (GPFSA) allows you to set aside money every month that you can use for out-of-pocket medical expenses like co-pays, deductibles, prescriptions, braces, crowns, dentures, contacts, eyeglasses, laser eye surgery and other costs. The benefit is that your money is set aside before it’s taxed. So, enrolling in the GPFSA means you have more to spend on those expenses than you would if you waited and spent the money after it was in your paycheck and taxed. You must re-enroll each year to continue participation.

What is a Limited-Purpose FSA?

The Limited-Purpose FSA is a similar concept to the GPFSA, but like the name says, it’s more limited. It can only be used for dental and vision expenses. You must re-enroll each year to continue participation.

Can I have a General-Purpose FSA and a Limited-Purpose FSA?

No. You can’t be enrolled in both plans at the same time.

What is the Dependent Care FSA?

A Dependent Care FSA allows you to set aside pre-tax money to pay for dependent care expenses while you’re at work. That includes your young children under age 13 who reside in your household, in daycare or elderly or disabled dependents, who cannot care for themselves. And like the other FSA options, you must re-enroll each year.

What are the Dependent Care limits?

The amount you can set aside for dependent care expenses is limited to: $2,500 for single parents or married couples who file taxes separately; and $5,000 for married couples who file jointly and single, head of household.

How does a Flexible Benefits plan work?

When you enroll in a flexible benefits plan, you agree to contribute a portion of your salary to pay for qualified benefits. Because you never receive that portion of your salary, it’s not considered wages for federal income tax purposes. That money goes directly into the account you specify and can be used according to the IRS rules.

To be eligible, you must be an active, full-time employee. You have thirty (30) days from the date of hire to decide to enroll. If you do not enroll after 30 days of your hire date, you can enroll during next year’s annual enrollment or after an IRS qualifying life event like childbirth or marriage.

Both the General-Purpose FSA and the Limited-Purpose FSA plan options also allow you to be reimbursed for medical expenses for your dependent children up to age 26.

You select an option and elect a contribution amount for the plan year. The minimum and the maximum are determined each year by the I.R.S. For 2024 plan year, the minimum was $600 and the maximum was $3,050 for the General-Purpose FSA and Limited-Purpose FSA. You will receive a Visa debit card, which is your FSA card, and it works like a debit card for your flexible spending account. Your pre-tax money is in your account and can be used to pay for eligible expenses at your doctor’s office, pharmacy or other provider. The election is like a loan and monies are immediately available for the General-Purpose FSA and Limited-Purpose FSA. A per pay period amount is taken out of your check and placed into your account.

If I join the Flexible Benefits Plan, will I ever have to pay taxes on the money I put into the plan?

Generally, no. Flexible benefits contributions are reported as non-taxable wages and income on your W-2. If the IRS audits you, you will need to show total expenses and receipts from your service provider(s). So keep a copy of your reimbursement request forms and receipts for your records.

However, it is important to note: Your benefits may become taxable wages reportable on your W-2 Form if you fail to timely substantiate (verify) a debit card transaction as a qualifying medical expense or use your debit card for ineligible expenses.

What is “Automatic Enrollment” in the Flexible Benefits Premium Conversion?

When you enroll in one of OGB’s health plans, you automatically become a participant in the Flex Plan under the Premium Conversion option. The premium conversion option means that you pay for your health plan with pre-tax dollars, giving you more take-home pay in each paycheck. If you’re not enrolled in an OGB health plan, but enroll in another voluntary product, you will also become a participant in the premium conversion option. Once you enroll in the premium conversion option, you don’t have to re-enroll. You will stay enrolled until you choose to end your participation in an OGB health plan.

How can I contact the flexible spending arrangement administrator, if I have a question about my account?

Total Administrative Services Corporation (TASC) is OGB’s third-party administrator for the flexible spending arrangement (FSA). Participants may call TASC, toll-free, at 1-800-422-4661, or visit online at, or send a fax to 1-501-687-3282.

Can I have a General-Purpose FSA with a Health Savings Account?

No. However, you can elect to have a Limited-Purpose FSA for dental and vision only.

Does the FSA roll over to the next year?

No. You must enroll in a FSA every year. Additionally, unused contribution amounts do not carry over to the next Plan Year.

Do I have to pay an annual fee?

Yes. When you enroll in a FSA you also agree to pay the administrative annual fee, which is $11.52 annually divided equally per the number of pay periods in the Flex Plan Year.

What if I didn’t sign up during annual enrollment, but I get married or have a baby during the year and would like to have a FSA?

There are times when you may want to enroll in a General-Purpose (medical) or Dependent Care FSA in the middle of the year. Say you have a baby and want to start paying for daycare through a FSA. You can enroll in the middle of the year if you experience an OGB Plan Recognized Qualified Life Event. You have 30 days from the date of your Qualified Life Event to enroll. The list of Qualifying Events is available on the OGB website, under Resources, and helps you to determine whether or not you can enroll in a FSA outside of annual enrollment.

What if I don’t use all of my money? Do I get it reimbursed to me at the end of the year?

No. The I.R.S. has a “use it or lose it” rule for FSAs. Participants are encouraged to use their FSA monies during the Flex plan year which is January 1 through December 31, and before the end of the Grace Period which is March 15th of the following year.

What is a Grace Period and Run-Out Period?

Two of the most important concepts to understand about FSAs are the Grace Period and Run-Out Period. Money in a FSA account should be used by the end of December for the calendar year enrolled. For example, if you enroll in a FSA during annual enrollment of 2015, you should use your funds by December of 2016.

But, there is a Grace Period following the Flex Plan Year that lasts until March 15 of each year, which allows you to use the previous year’s flexible spending funds to pay for expenses incurred during the Grace Period. If you still haven’t used the money in your account by the end of the Grace Period, you’ll lose it.

The Run-Out Period lasts until April 30 for submitting claims. You have to have all your claims in by April 30, to be able to cover your expenses with your previous year’s money.

What happens after I enroll in a FSA and I want to get reimbursed?

The FSA Mastercard debit card will auto-substantiate for IIAS Stores ( for locations) and insurance specific co-pays. The option to submit your claims manually is available. Find the directions to register your payment card and online portal below.
You received your payment from TASC (this is a silver Mastercard). You will then need to register your payment card. If you are not already a registered user, you will need your payment card number to register and sign in for the first time at Note, if you enrolled in a dependent care flexible spending account (DCFSA) as a tax-favored way to cover day care and related eligible expenses, you would not be issued a payment card number for the DCFSA. To access your account, download the TASC Mobile App or register online at

The first time you access Universal Benefit Account, you need to sign up. On the Sign In page, below the Email field, find the First Time here? prompt and click Sign up to establish access.

You do not need to create Universal Benefit Account (UBA) for this instance:

  • If you already have a UBA, simply sign in with you existing username and password to access your account.

Once you are signed in, you will have access to:

  • View account balances and transaction information
  • Link your personal bank account directly to your account for faster reimbursements
  • Set your personal communication preferences for the alerts and notices you wish to receive

For further assistance with registering your information, contact TASC and Customer Care at 1-800-422-4661.

Can I increase my FSA elected amount in the middle of the year?

Only if the annual elected amount is less than the annual maximum amount and only after experiencing an OGB Plan Recognized Qualified Life Event that is provided for in the FSA Plan Document, or the Flexible Benefits Plan Summary.

Can the out-of-pocket medical expenses for my wife and dependents be reimbursed through the General-Purpose FSA?

Yes, as long as they are your taxed dependents and you are enrolled in a GPFSA.

I am a state employee and my spouse is a state employee, can we each have a General-Purpose FSA?

Yes. However, you both cannot get reimbursed for the same receipts.


What is Live Better Louisiana?

Live Better Louisiana is a proactive approach to prevent illness and to manage any conditions that do appear. The program is available to OGB members enrolled in a Blue Cross and Blue Shield Pelican or Magnolia plan. The goal of this plan is to keep OGB members healthier by providing improved access to preventive healthcare and resources to help them better manage their health, understand their risk factors, and make educated choices related to their care. You can receive a wellness credit by participating in the Live Better program.

What if I qualified for the wellness credit but it is not showing up on my pay check?

Please contact OGB customer service with the following information:

  1. Name
  2. Date of birth
  3. How you completed your wellness visit requirement (i.e.- attending a Catapult Health on-site clinic or visiting your doctor, having them complete the Primary Care Provider form and sending it to Catapult Health)
  4. Date you completed the wellness visit requirement

OGB will work with Catapult Health and Blue Cross to research your eligibility for the wellness credit.

Who is eligible to participate in the Live Better Louisiana program?

Only the primary plan member is eligible to participate in the Live Better Louisiana program.

How does it work?

The primary plan member can receive a wellness credit (through their payroll system) by participating in the Live Better Louisiana program, which is a simple one-step process.

  1. Receive a preventive health screening or have your doctor complete a primary care provider form (PCP) after your annual wellness visit. OGB is providing clinics across the state that screen for cholesterol, glucose levels and liver function. You’ll leave the clinic with a personalized health plan and referrals to appropriate specialists, primary care physicians or disease management programs.
    The process must be completed each year.

Where can I find a list of clinics in my area?

We are currently working on our clinic schedule for the plan year 2024. Please check the Catapult Health Scheduler web page for the list of clinics scheduled to date.

What’s the discount for participating in the Live Better wellness program?

Members will receive a $120 annual ($10 monthly) premium credit on their BCBSLA health coverage.

If I can’t go to a clinic, can I still get a discount?

Yes. There is a form available that you can bring to your physician that can be used to show you had your annual physical. The primary care physician form can be found on the OGB website under Resource>Forms>Live Better Louisiana.

Are there any discounts on gym memberships or other services?

Yes. Blue Cross members can sign up for the Blue365, which offers exclusive health and wellness deals that can help keep you healthy and happy—every day of the year! With categories like fitness, apparel, healthy eating, alternative medicine, healthy living, weight management, experiences, personal care, financial care and wellness, you’re sure to find something to enhance your life.


No FAQs Found


I received a letter in the mail about COBRA. What is COBRA?

The federal Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA) of 1985, made allowance for those who lost health coverage, due to job loss, to continue health benefits for a period of time. If you have recently changed employment status (left your employer), you are eligible for a temporary extension of group health coverage, and you have received a letter from TASC. TASC is OGB’s third-party administrator for FSA, COBRA and FSA COBRA.

If you are a new hire to state government, you have received a COBRA Specific Rights Notice Letter provided to all newly hired employees for information purposes only to let you know your rights as an employee.

What are qualifying events for COBRA?

The most common qualifying events that result in a loss of coverage can be:

  1. Reduction in hours of the covered employee’s employment;
  2. Voluntary or involuntary termination of the covered employee’s employment other than for reason of gross misconduct (note that a retirement is considered a termination of employment);
  3. Death of the covered employee;
  4. Divorce or legal separation of the covered employee from the employee’s spouse;
  5. Dependent child ceasing to be a dependent child under the generally applicable requirements of the plan.

How do I elect COBRA coverage?

Once you are termed by your agency, your information is entered into the TASC COBRA system. TASC will generate a COBRA Specific Rights Notice Letter to the plan member to the current mailing address on file at OGB. The packet will include a waive or accept COBRA and/or FSA COBRA form; a date of the last day of election; premium cost; where to mail the premium and form (not to OGB); how to pay online; and more. According to COBRA regulations, the plan member has 60 days from the date of the COBRA Specific Rights Notice Letter to elect coverage under COBRA.

Can I add dependents to my coverage while I’m on COBRA?

Yes, please refer to the health plan guide for information on who qualifies as an eligible dependent. For example, a child born or placed for adoption can be added to the coverage within 30 days of the birth or adoption.

How long may I and/or my dependents continue coverage under COBRA?

18 months – If you are an employee that has lost coverage due to reduction in hours or termination of employment, you and any covered dependents may be eligible to continue coverage under COBRA for up to 18 months. The 18-month continuation period may be extended to a maximum of 36 months for covered dependents if a second qualifying event occurs during the 18-month continuation period. Second qualifying events may include death of the former employee, divorce or legal separation, and loss of dependent status under the plan. It is your responsibility to notify TASC and the Office of Group Benefits if you experience one of these events while on COBRA. Notification must be made within 60 days of the second qualifying event. Submit a completed Second Qualifying Event Form PDF along with a copy of the death certificate or the divorce decree, if applicable.

29 months – If you or one of your covered dependents is determined by the Social Security Administration to have been totally disabled on the date the Covered Person became eligible for continued coverage or within the initial 18 months of coverage, coverage under this Plan for all qualified beneficiaries with respect to the qualifying event may be extended at his or her own expense up to a maximum of 29 months from the date coverage would have otherwise terminated. Premiums during the additional 11 months of coverage may be at a substantially higher rate.

In order to apply for the disability extension, submit a completed Social Security Disability Extension (SSDE) Form PDF along with a copy of the determination letter.

36 months – When covered dependents lose coverage due to death of the employee, divorce or legal separation, loss of dependent status under the plan, or the employee becoming covered by Medicare, they may be eligible to continue coverage under COBRA for up to 36 months.

Please contact Office of Group Benefits and TASC if any of the circumstances apply to you.

When are my COBRA premium payments due?

Your initial premium payment must be postmarked within 45 days from the date you sent your election paperwork to TASC. The initial premium includes all payments due between your first day of COBRA and the current month. For example, if your first day of COBRA is in July and you are making your initial premium payment in August, the first payment should include the premiums due for both July and August. Once TASC processes your initial premium payment, your coverage will be reinstated retroactively back to your first day of COBRA. Your right to continue coverage under the plan will end if payment is not made within the required time.

Where do I mail my COBRA payments?

Please mail all COBRA payments to:

2302 International Ln
Madison, WI 53704-3140

Include the Member ID in the memo field of the last 4 of the SSN. Also, any payment mailed should always be post marked by USPS. Any payments not mailed to the address above will not be processed.

Can I mail or bring my COBRA premium to OGB?

No. To ensure your COBRA premium is processed timely, please mail all COBRA payments directly to TASC (see above question for address). You can also choose to pay online, with an additional fee.

What is TASC’s telephone number?


What are TASC’s hours of operation and how do I get payment information?

Their hours of operation are Monday-Friday, *8:00am – *5:00pm (all time zones)
*According to area code

Can I email TASC if I have a question?

  • You may login to your account on: and click “Contact Us”
  • You may also fax documents to with attention to COBRA: 608-663-2753


How much will my employer contribute to my premium upon retirement?

It depends on your years of participation in an OGB health plan.

When can I request my participation?

A future retiree may request their participation at any time through their human resources department.

If I am actively employed and over 65, do I have to enroll in Medicare A & B?

No. You can enroll in Medicare Part A and upon retirement enroll in Medicare Part B.

How can I get reduced rates once I receive my Medicare card?

OGB becomes the secondary plan for a retiree who has Medicare A and B. When that occurs, the retiree’s monthly premium decreases. However, the premium reduction only applies for those retirees who have both Medicare A and Medicare B.

What is VibrantRx?

If you are enrolled in Medicare A and/or B and a Blue Cross health plan, VibrantRx will become your pharmacy provider. VibrantRx will provide you with a new prescription card. You should not enroll in a separate Medicare part D plan.

I understand there are different parts of Medicare. Can you explain what the most common parts are?

  • Medicare Part A covers hospitalization and is usually paid for in full at age 65.
  • Medicare Part B covers physician’s visits and requires a monthly premium to keep in force.
  • Medicare Part C is privately- offered plans that serve as an option to regular Medicare. It is most commonly referred to as Medicare Advantage.
  • Medicare Part D is prescription drug.

Can retirees participate in the HSA plan?


I have OGB coverage and I am also eligible for Medicare Parts A & B. Do I have to enroll in both?

Yes. If you are eligible for Medicare Parts A & B, you are required by OGB rules to enroll in both. Failure to follow this rule will result in reduction or loss of claim benefits.

If I get Part B of Medicare, does that mean that I will be paying the full cost for OGB coverage and paying Medicare B coverage premium as well?

Yes, but when you sign up for Medicare Part A & Part B, your OGB premiums are reduced. Visit our Premium Rates page for more information.

If I have Medicare Parts A and B along with an OGB policy, does my coverage include prescription drug benefits?


Can you tell me more about Medicare Advantage plans?

Medicare Advantage plans are private plans that act as direct substitutions for Medicare. Eligible retirees can enroll in Medicare Advantage plans and, once they do so, those plans take over totally for Medicare. They can vary greatly in medical and drug benefits as well as premiums. In fact, some plans do not require a monthly premium.

How much can Medicare Advantage plans vary?

Medicare Advantage plans can vary: in deductibles, co-payments, prescription drug coverage, and provider networks. They also vary in the geographical area covered. OGB encourages you to research your options and select a plan that best suits your needs.


What is the name of my Life Insurance company through the Office of Group Benefits?

Prudential Insurance Company of America (Prudential)

Is there a time limit on submitting claims to Prudential?

No. There is no time limit on filing claims.

When can an employee cancel their supplemental insurance?

Supplemental insurance can be canceled during the annual enrollment period or if they experience a plan recognized qualified life event (QLE). Also if the product is not a flexed product, they can cancel anytime. Click here to see the OGB Life Insurance QLE chart.

QLE chart

Must a life insurance EOI be submitted by the deadline of annual enrollment?

Yes, the EOI must be submitted before the November 15th deadline.

If an employee is hired at age 51 and their premium is showing up based on age 50, should their life insurance premium reflect their current age?

The employee will pay the same premiums until January of the following year.

Does Evidence of Insurability (EOI) need to be completed if a member has been approved for Basic Supplemental Life insurance and decides to change coverage to Basic Life?

No, EOI is not needed to decrease life coverage, however if a member decides to increase coverage, EOI will need to be completed.

Is approval needed for pre-tax on life insurance?

Employees should have completed a premium conversion form upon employment that would allow all deductions to be made pre-tax. If you are not sure, please verify with your human resources department as to if you completed a premium conversion form.

What coverage is offered?

Employee Term Life coverage
Dependents Term Life coverage
Accidental Death & Dismemberment coverage

The policy through Prudential is Term insurance. Term Life insurance is a pure transference of risk in exchange for the payment of premium. Prudential, and prior carriers, have been providing coverage and assuming risk for the payment of premium. In the event a covered person were to pass, Prudential would honor their obligation/contract and pay the benefit. Absent that event, the insurer has earned the premium for the assumption of risk of the insurance. The Term Life policy has no cash value or paid up provision and to return premium at a later date would mean that Prudential provided free insurance coverage during the time they assumed the risk of the insured passing away.

Does the Life Insurance Plan have a cash value?

No, this is a term life policy

Can I add my legal dependents?

Yes, your legal spouse, and children until they reach age 26.

Does my life insurance have a reduction in coverage?

Yes, the life insurance will have two automatic reduction of 25%
January 1 following your 65th and 70th birthday. (also premium reduces)

Do I have to prove good health for the Life Insurance?

Newly hired employees who enroll within 30 days of employment are
eligible for life insurance without providing evidence of insurability.

If enrollment is after 30 days evidence of insurability is required.

How do I change my beneficiaries?

Active: Contact your human resources department.
Retired: Contact the human resources department where you retired or OGB.

Where can I review Life Insurance information, premiums and forms?

OGB: website
OGB Home page, OGB forms, Prudential Life Insurance

Beneficiary Selection

Employee has a right to choose one or more beneficiaries. The employee is to complete a form and submit it to their HR Department.

How does the beneficiary submit a death certificate?

Beneficiaries or estate should complete the Group Life Insurance Claim form and submit it to the deceased employee/retiree’s HR Department.

What is the timeline for filing a life insurance claim?

Life insurance claims cannot be done after 10 year period.

If I am terminated from employment can I convert my policy?

Yes, when an employee’s employment terminates, the employee can convert their group term life coverage to an individual term life insurance contract policy.

Does the life insurance policy have a living benefit option?

Yes, a terminally ill employee whose life expectancy is 6 months or less may apply for an accelerated payment of death benefits. Proof of terminal illness must be received by Prudential within six months or less of life expectancy.

Do I have to re-enroll if I already have a life insurance plan through OGB?


Will I still be able to carry my life Insurance coverage after I retire?


Can I add my spouse and/or dependents to my life insurance plan?

Yes, spouses and children up to age 26. Plan members currently enrolled who wish to add dependent life coverage for a spouse can by providing evidence of insurability. Eligible dependent children can be added without providing evidence of insurability.

Does the employer contribute to my spouse or dependent contribution?

No, the employee pays 100% of dependent life premiums.

Am I eligible for Accidental Death and Dismemberment coverage?

Full-time employees & retirees under age 70

Who do I need to speak with to get answers about Life insurance questions?

Active employees: contact your Human Resources Department.
Retirees: contact the agency HR Department you retired from or OGB

How do I find out the face value of my Life Insurance?

Active employees should check with their human resources department. Retirees may contact OGB or send a letter to OGB requesting amount. Make sure to sign and date the information.